Wednesday, February 13, 2013

February Crafts

Okay, deceptive title. If we're friends, you know I'm not crafty. My lack of cuteness and creativity is something I've had a vague awareness of for years, but upon moving to Ohio among so many talented crafters, it's blossomed into a full-fledged insecurity. 

But no matter. I've realized it takes all sorts, and the seriously crafty need people like me to admire and purchase their peddled creations. So that will be my role. And while sewing doesn't make my heart sing (I said sewing, I meant destroying expensive fabric), I have realized I actually enjoy useful, small-scale projects.

Here is an example of a "craft" on my level: this Christmas card book. I hate throwing cute pictures of family and friends away, and figured by punching holes and adding a ring, we'd have something to set out on the coffee table and flip through next Christmas.


I know, you're in awe. Maybe I'll break down the steps and post a full tutorial. 

 I've also learned to really love paper crafting and card making. I only make really simple things, but have so much fun doing it. No kidding - it's like dessert at the end of a day to me...if I finish all my chores, the kids are asleep and Andrew is studying, I get to watch a show and make cards. Fun and somewhat practical. And fortunately, only requires the ability to stamp, cut and paste. My kindergarten teacher probably had no idea she was watching my skills peak. Here are some Valentine's Day cards...



 Not elaborate, but simple and sweet. Special thanks to my friend Lindsey for always helping me and letting me use her expensive stuff. And here are some little tags we made for a Valentine exchange:


And some cute little note cards to bundle and give away.

I'm also getting into bad photography.

So while I have no illusions about my level of talent, it does feel good to create something small. I'm even investing a teensy bit in some new tools to make it a full-fledged hobby. Exciting.

...and maybe embarrassing to any real card maker who sees this. But you gotta start somewhere.

So what are you in to lately? What makes your heart sing?

3 comments:

  1. What cute stuff! I need to get back to my card making...so much better than the store bought stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your title reeled me in. I am not crafty either, but I like to drool over what other people can do. If I do craft, it has to be a kit or someone else has to tell me step by step what to buy and where to get it and how to assemble it! haha Your Christmas card ring is a good idea! I like it. Make sure ours stays on top! And I also like to make cards, just wish I had more time for it. Yours are better than mine though. I'm glad you have found a fun "dessert".

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I'm not sure what "I'm getting into bad photography" means. Too many visits to the Lion's Den? Maybe you need to see your bishop. It's okay, Sarah. Real friends don't judge.

    Also, I definitely need the tutorial for that booklet. How on earth do you get the ring onto the cards?!!?!?

    (FYI: You make me so happy.)

    ReplyDelete