Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween 2K13

Halloween is a holiday I either dread or look forward to each year, depending on whether or not I've thought of our costumes. I would say "we", but finally realized this year that Halloween costumes are ultimately my responsibility. Andrew is a fantastic sport and will always play along, but will never start the "So what should we be this year?" conversation. I think this is due to the fact he's a man.

We've had some costume fun for several years now, thanks to Andrew's mullet (see montage below), but trying to think of inexpensive costumes for a family of four that coordinate AND incorporate the hairpiece is a tall order.

Here is what we came up with this year...I brainstormed this idea in bed one night and started laughing so hard as I imagined Andrew that I woke him up. 

A cop, convicts, and our back of loot. We had everything already but the orange jumpsuits (which came with handcuffs), plastic badges (one dollar for a four pack!) and fake money to pin onto Preston's re-purposed potato sack. We wore these to our ward's Fall Festival a few weeks ago, and people literally did not recognize Andrew. He looked like the world's sketchiest investigator. I dared him to go running along the side of the road in this get up, but he was too scared the police dispatchers would get slammed with calls.

Asher loved being a police man. He is at this magical age where he isn't insisting on being a superhero, and will basically get excited about whatever we tell him he's going to be. Bad parents?

 Preston has no idea what's going on. So it's perfect.

The night of Halloween, it was super blustery and rainy. I had to bring our jack o lanterns inside because the wind kept blowing them out. Andrew got home late from clinic, after [the dedicated] kids had already been trick or treating for a while. This was actually great, because Asher LOVED getting to had out candy to trick or treaters. Anytime there was a lull, he'd ask "Are more kids gonna come, mom?"

When Andrew finally arrived, he threw on his costume, we snapped a few quick pics, then we divided and conquered. He and Preston headed in costume to Chipotle to get $3 "Booritos" for our dinner, and I took Asher trick or treating around the neighborhood. Last year we had similar bad weather, and so I kept then-baby Preston indoors most of the night while Andrew and Asher collected sugar from strangers. It was fun to take a turn.

Honestly, it was such a good time. I love to see my child get so excited, knock on friends' doors, and meet new neighbors. We only stayed out for a half hour, then headed home to eat our discounted dinner. Andrew bolted to use a free haircut coupon (he'd been keeping his hair long to enhance the appearance of his mullet :) that expired that night, at a place that closed in 25 minutes. Asher got to pick 3 treats ("because I'm 3 years old!"), and we did a quick bath and bedtime routine. 

Then I assessed our candy situation. I realized I am a giant idiot for buying Snickers and Kit Kats (my favorites) to hand out.  As I noticed the six empty wrappers next to me and felt disgusting, I vowed to go the Bit O Honey route next year.

 Preston holding up a sucker in his skeleton PJ's - I love how slimming they are.

And behold, a mullet montage of our costumes in years past. The shotgun wedding, Russian gymnasts, NASCAR fans, and convicts. 


We love Halloween. 

But will dread it until we think of our costumes for next year. Let me know if you have any suggestions. :)

3 comments:

  1. Love your enthusiasm for Halloween! Please move back to Louisville so I can enjoy your enthusiasm in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric and I crack up at your costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shotgun wedding has always been my favorite!

    ReplyDelete