Monday, December 9, 2013

Dirty Diapers and Preschool Jokes

Preston finally started walking a few weeks ago! Which is to say, he's capable of taking 6 or 7 steps but still crawls most of the time.

He is 15 months old...and getting super heavy to carry around (cut to us after church yesterday - Andrew had a meeting, so I was carrying 3 big bags, a scripture case, the nursery snack container and 28 pounds of man child encased in a puffy winter coat. Poor Asher tripped and fell in the snow trying to keep up. I felt bad, but since I was on the verge of dropping everything, just shot him a big smile, said, "You're alright!" and kept walking). So his mobility is quite welcome.

Until I'm trying to change his diaper.  Then I wish he was a paralytic.

Preston's outgrown his changing table, so we're in the stage of diaper changes on the ground.  For someone who's a little obsessive about floors, the experience of removing a feces-filled bundle from a writhing child over carpet is slightly stressful.  Although almost always without incident.  Anyway, a couple days ago I was in the process of changing Preston, who per usual, was rolling away like a tumbleweed with a train to catch. Asher was on the scene in order to perform his ritual shaming: 

"Oh no, Preston! No!!" 
(shakes his head and purses his lips with mock concern)
"You have to learn to go poo poo on the toilet, like me!"
"I'm a big boy, but Preston isn't." 

I'll often have Asher try to distract Preston with silly tricks, and this day, exasperated, blurted out, "Asher, tell Preston a joke!"

Of course, I didn't really expect him to.  He's three.  But to my surprise, without missing a beat, he said,  "Why do chickens sit on their eggs? (pause) 
Me: "Why?"
Asher: "Because they don't have any chairs!"

Hahaha, what??  I had no idea where he'd heard that.  Maybe not the best joke, but it was so cute and well delivered.  I suspect that little guy will keep us laughing our whole lives long.

Cannot imagine life without these two boys!




P.S. Edgy alternate title for this post: "Sh**s and Giggles".  Too bad I'm so darn classy. 

1 comment:

  1. So lovely kids you have!!! I like it. I wish these little guys will keep laughing heir whole lives long.

    Regards,
    Diaper Bags

    ReplyDelete