Saturday, May 31, 2014

Party in a Bowl

Five or so years ago, we attended a ward potluck. These were the happy days before I'd witnessed the kitchens on Hoarders: Buried Alive. Consuming food with unknown origins now induces mild to moderate anxiety. Maybe leaving a potluck with an empty stomach sounds stupid and prissy, but I guarantee I've ingested less pet hair.

Anyway, after spooning a colorful salsa on my plate, I took a bite and almost choked with delight. It was so fresh, the flavor so pleasant and complex....It was like a tiny Mexican angel had landed in my mouth and created a miracle. But my ecstasy ended in heartbreak: when I rushed back for seconds, the glass bowl was empty...I could deal with not having seconds, but a future without this salsa? Unbearable. I had to find the maiden to which this glass bowl belonged.

Fortunately, shameless, creepy gluttons tend to get to the bottom of these matters quickly. My good friend Anna had actually made the salsa and gladly shared the recipe (just an aside - recipes are made to be shared. If you are one of those withholders out there who wants to be the only one able to make your top secret, extra-special blah blah blah....stop being cray and just share, please).

When a recipe is both healthy and delicious, it gets put on repeat around here. We make this salsa probably once every couple of weeks in the summertime, and everyone loves it. It is great plain or with chips, and makes an excellent side dish. Everything in it is good for you, which makes it easy to enjoy responsibly. 

I think out West, they call similar dishes "Cowboy (or Texas) Caviar," but after its ultra-warm reception, Anna dubbed it "Hit of the Party Salsa". Hope you love it as much as we do!


Hit of the Party Salsa

4-5 tomatoes, seeded and diced
5 green onions, diced (we just wash and snip them straight in)
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 handful of cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, cubed
The juice of 1 lime
Garlic Salt to taste (but don't be shy!)

Combine all ingredients, adding the last three in order. Stir together and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment