Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Asher the Kid

Asher is wearing me out. Usually, I refer to him as my "child." My "buddy." My "little first-born." But I've found these terms are subject to change.

When the boy finds time to smear toothpaste and vaseline all over our bathroom, paint the couch with yogurt, color the computer with sharpie, all while communicating exclusively through fit and whine, my maternal scales are involuntarily tipped, and Asher becomes my "KID." 

Kid. It's a moderately harsh term reserved for the harried parents of misbehaving children. Which lately, I am. Maybe the unauthorized artwork of a fussy, disobedient toddler doesn't seem criminal, but I've certainly been robbed of my patience from time to time. And "Asher the Kid" is a pretty fitting name for a future outlaw. Or inmate.

Our last week or two have been "Kid" weeks. Ash man has been extra sneaky, defiant and whiny. He seems to be regressing, which may be expected with a new baby around. It still stinks. I do feel terrible about being less available...but the toddler is certainly making me pay for it. Every day upon witnessing his newest scene of destruction, I utter the same phrase: "Are you kidding me?!"

Well....turns out that's exactly what he's doing.

Anyway, Asher certainly senses and responds to my dissatisfaction. There's definitely some tension between us at times. Here's proof:

His bedtime prayers: "Dear Heathery Father, we're thankful for Daddy, and thankful for Preston, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

Asher: "Daddy says 'Just a minute,' and Asher says 'Just a second'.
Me: "Oh, really? What does mommy say?"
Asher: "'Dang it!'"

Haha, thanks for reminding me of how short I fall, you little stinker! I need to be a more patient, loving mommy. And you need to stop kidding me. :)

1 comment:

  1. Man, Olivia and I so go through rough patches. Sometimes it's hard to be a mom. And sometimes it feels like your kid picks on you when you don't deserve it.

    Also, Olivia would prefer Bryan over me any day. Lately she's started praying that Daddy will be safe and "tected" (protected) and then moves onto other stuff and skips over being grateful for such an awesome mom entirely. Bryan finally stopped her during her prayer and corrected her the other day. But, truth be told, I am fully aware that she prefers Daddy.

    On the other hand, I am definitely the enforcer, so, ya know, I'd like him better too. But someone's gotta lay down the law.

    Good luck on the hard days.

    ReplyDelete