Monday, September 21, 2015

Pre-Baby Game

       We're getting close, you guys. At almost 38 weeks, I'm huge...like a house, but with no curb appeal. Being this close to the end makes me equal parts anxious, excited, and terrified. The fear and anxiety result from my desperate desire to complete every single project/task/outing prior to the baby raining down sweetness, sleep deprivation and stringent milk demands on our parade. I just like my joy served a la carte, without a lumpy side of stress lurking on the plate.

       As an insane person, this requires me to clean every baseboard, wall and window, stock up on anything I think we may need in the next 4 months, and drive Andrew batty with odd job requests. Maybe that's normal nesting. But aside from standard baby prep, there is also the "labor" of researching and writing my master's thesis, which I defend early December, and reassure myself daily is not that big of a deal and totally doable with the new baby. I don't know if I'm lying or not.

       Also, we obviously haven't picked out a name for this child yet. Not that we haven't diligently considered every boy name on the planet - we just only like and agree on none of them.

Asher has aided us in the quest. Since coming around to the fact the little sister he'd prayed constantly for would, in fact, be a boy, he's been very vocal about what we should name our new brother. His suggestions became so original and consistent, I started recording them. He gives us a fresh option each day. Sometimes they're surprisingly good; sometimes he misses the mark a bit (see: "Ooeymucho"). 

Here is the lively list of Asher's name suggestions thus far:

Theo
George Robin
Herman
Proopie
Jamal
Cooper
Comnater
Stetson
Maller
Ezra Rhett
Howard
Chris
The Claw
Jethro
Hero
Jazz
Hugo
Link 
Spy Chase
Orlin
Berg
Ooeymucho
Bulletin
Wixy
Carlos
Ja-von
Lucas
Paulo
Sparky
Robert
Maximo

         Can you believe we've had all this naming help and still don't have anything nailed down?! Pahahaha... so Ash man has a liiittle more flare than taste. It's a crime of heredity.

         Another pre-baby development is our new vehicle! When the rattling Nissan Quest with 220,000 miles on it was going to require another repair last week, we finally bit the bullet and something more reliable. Andrew wanted a SUV so badly, but logic (and the realization we won't be cool no matter what we drive) won out and we now have a sweet Honda Odyssey. It was funny to be at the very same dealership where as an excited 17-year-old, I selected a sparkly new Civic coupe to drive to college. Rolling up pregnant with our third child to van shop was a nice little reality check. Time keeps marching, man. 11 years later, that (now impractical) little Civic takes Andrew to work everyday, and makes him afraid of being towed from the hospital doctors lot.  



       Anyway. I never thought a used mini-van would make me feel like a princess, but it's the nicest vehicle we've ever owned and I'm thinking of selling the house and living out of it. Features I love: automatic doors, a DVD player with wireless headphones, heated leather seats (?!), custom weather-tech floor mats, sun roof, blue tooth syncing with our phones, and the list goes on. I am so happy the kids can all sit in the same row, and am excited to look up into that center surveillance mirror (this is a car for parents, people) and see an infant carrier between our two big boys. Heart.

       Last weekend I made a quick trip to Columbus to stay with and see some friends while I could still get around hands free. It was nice to catch up with a lot of people at once (thanks to Super Saturday), and I just kept feeling so grateful to know so many truly good, fun people. I didn't take a lot of pictures, but there was this:

At least one of us knows how to work it. 

I have such a love and admiration for this amazing woman! Melissa is expecting her third girl just as we're expecting our third boy, so obviously there are arranged marriages in the works.

        Then there are my sweet Friel twins. I LOVED getting to work with the youth at church, and can't believe these two are seniors! It makes me feel like a senior too. The kind that qualifies for discounts.

       After a speedy but wonderful Columbus visit, we hit up IKEA in Cincinnati. Let me tell you something - I love that place, but on a Saturday afternoon, it is the pits of hell. We were there for 4 hours getting the last of the furniture and accessories we needed for the house. The boys behaved really well though, and my sweet in-laws came to Louisville and helped us finish off assembly and decor in the basement living area and play room. It is all so functional, homey and cute! One more giant thing crossed off our pre-baby list!

And finally, a note to our new little man:

          We have an ultrasound scheduled at the doctor in a couple days, and I am SO excited to see you. You are by far the most active baby I've ever carried, and I am in constant disbelief at how feisty and strong you are! Your little dance parties last for hours sometimes (ahem, midnight to 3 AM Friday?? You're grounded.), and I am nervous that rather than the low-key third boy I envisioned, you may be our wildest man yet. But be who you are - we'll take you. Your big brothers are anxious to meet and hold you, and I can't wait to see that incredibly special look on your dad's face he only makes as he sees his children for the first time. We'll stay busy so we can be ready whenever you are! Love you so much already.

- Mom

1 comment:

  1. Love the van. It's so funny because our Nissan Quest bit the dust last week too. They must be on a timer.

    ReplyDelete