Thursday, March 29, 2012

When You Comin' Home, Dad?

I've alluded to it before - Andrew is in some serious school and studying monopolizes the majority of his time at home. It's hard sometimes. I know the necessity is only temporary, though, and while I often struggle with wanting more time together, I think his absence has been hardest on Asher. The boy just loves his Daddy. 

Andrew hates it too...but most nights find him sequestered away in his office, door closed, nose in the books. When it's been a while since Asher has seen his Dad, he knocks on the office door and says, "Daddy, wheh ah you?", until Andrew either lets him in for a moment, or gently tells him that Daddy is studying and will see him later. When the latter happens, I casually start singing "The Cat's in the Cradle," and try to occupy Asher elsewhere. 

Of course, the song is just a little joke. In reality, I have been consistently impressed with how Andrew makes time for us (as well as a hefty church calling), even in the midst of crazy school. He usually plays with Asher for a few minutes upon coming home, lends a hand when I need it, and we always eat dinner and do Asher's bedtime routine together. This is enough for me.

Here are a few pics from this past month's Asher-Daddy time.

 Andrew came home just as bed head here was waking up from his nap. A shared snack and a quick couch cuddle can go a long way.

 On the move

On the Saturday before final's week (Andrew's last big study day) he took another break to be with us. He and I were trying to video Asher playing in his room unaware, but it turned into 7 minutes of day-to-day, father and son footage. So here's the video, if you want to see it. It's no summer blockbuster, but it documents a little of what our real life feels like and captures Asher as his two-year-old self. 

Note: Half of the video is him begging us for a Skittle we promised him for going potty, and at the very end, Andrew falls. ;)





3 comments:

  1. Aww Sarah I LOVE seeing these pics and video! Makes me miss you all and that sweet little Ash man so much! He seriously looks like a Kindergardener:) I can so relate to being a "single mom". That's what I feel like most of the time with Bryan in school too. I can't wait to see you in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok that was SO cute! Asher has so much personality and hair! I miss your family. I can't believe he is 2! I remember when he was rolling around in your belly! :-) He is so smart too! I'm also glad that my little girl isn't the only one who randomly decides to bite her parents. lol

    ReplyDelete