Thursday, August 16, 2012

Not Long Now...

So I had my 38 week appointment yesterday. I was anxious to know whether or not we were making any progress, as it was the first time I'd been checked, so when the doctor said I was dilated 3-4 centimeters, I actually hit her in the arm. I do that when I'm excited. Totally involuntary. Anyway, yee-haw! We're moving in the right direction!

 38 Weeks!

...Although, at the end of the day, it really doesn't mean much. No guarantee labor is even close! I've had a lot of uncomfortable contractions, but they are pretty sporadic, so I don't necessarily think this baby will be here tomorrow. But we did pack our hospital bag last night. And I kept wondering, am I ready? Am I really ready? Eh, no, not quite...I've had this crazy list of things to do before the baby comes (things like changing the drip pans, shampooing the carpets, touching up paint, detailing the car, etc.), and there are a few things yet to be knocked out before I'll feel completely prepared.

Plus, we have larger issues- like what in the world are we going to name this child??? We are the worst at this. I envy the people who have a name they both love, and have picked out, plastered all over the nursery and embroidered on every baby blanket the minute they know what they're expecting.

 Losers.

Okay, clearly I'm just jealous...we toss names back and forth until it's time to put things in ink. This time we thought we'd picked a name a few months early, and then friends of ours actually named their son the very same thing. Which now makes me feel sort of funny about using it.

My favorite favorite little boy's name right now is Sterling, but our blasted last name prevents us from using it. "Sterling Steele"......nope, can't do it. Sounds like a low-grade metal they make necklaces with, then sell on QVC. He wouldn't have a chance.

Long ago, Andrew and I struck a deal he would get final say with our boys names, and I would get final say with the girls. Guess it's been a raw deal for me so far...Anyway, it may sound crazy, but I like the idea of not having that giant naming pressure on my shoulders. Too much to think about on top of giving birth. We toss around names we like, then baby's born and Andrew announces what he shall be called. And I know my husband won't choose something out of left field I hate, so I trust him to make the final call.


So I look like kind of dumb, but here's a better profile shot of that full-term bellly.

 At any rate, not long now. I'm so grateful for these beautiful weeks we've had together at home...we'll miss taking Asher on little outings as a family. We've looked sort of pitiful doing it, but with Andrew off the brace, his limp improving, and this baby closer to delivery, our era as Peg and Preg is coming to an end. We won't miss that part. :)

I just finished writing the last page of my journal, and the timing seemed rather appropriate. As I looked back fondly through flashes of the past couple years, I realized we are closing a big chapter in our lives...the chapter we wrote as a family of three. Life is about to take a big turn, and I am so excited to meet the little spirit who will join our family forever! 

We already love you so much, sweet boy! Can't wait to welcome you into the world.

10 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! I can't wait to hear the big news! (And find out the name choice!) You look amazing and I'm happy to hear that it could be any day! We'll be sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny that you do the excited arm hit. You crack me up. I'm excited to hear the name too. We didn't know what we were going to name Logan until after he was born and my friend had just named her son Logan a dew months earlier. Of course she isn't talking to me now. Ha ha just kidding. There was a point when we had three James in the ward born within a few months of each other. I guess my point is name him what you like even if someone else liked the name too. Best of luck. I'm so excited for you....and darn it...you do look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look amazing! Good luck with everything and cant wait to see this sweet boy. Good luck with the names. We have a hard time too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look fabulous. At 38 weeks you could see how ornery and miserable I was. I was so done at this point. How are you handling the heat? Cash was born the 23rd but due the 27th. Maybe you will have your little dude on Cash's birthday. Although, I hope you are not pregnant 7 more days. Yuck! It's time! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sarah I envy how great you look at 38 weeks! I'm pretty sure I resembled the cool-aid character. And I totally loled at peg and preg! That's too perfect! Haha! I am getting so excited for this little guy to get here! My bet is this Saturday the 18th;) Put in 5 bucks for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! Hooray for progressing. I'm always so impressed when people dilate on their own. You are a pregnant rock star.

    And, seriously, from the back you still don't look pregnant. Seriously.

    Anyway, so excited for this sweet little boy to come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still think Sterling is adorable! Good luck and hope the labor goes seamlessly for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was looking at this at work and all the other nurses were oohing over what a cute pregnant lady you are and how you're all belly. Can't wait to meet your new little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!! I love you & the fact that you just used 'gay wad' on your blog. You're hot pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i was just about to say what elizabeth did! lol! yes! "gay wad" i haven't said that in years. but it needs to come back. :)

    ReplyDelete