Friday, August 3, 2012

The BBB

Yesterday brought a big, unexpected change in our household. And to be clear, it had nothing to do with the Better Business Bureau.

After breakfast, I casually mentioned to Andrew we still needed to find bedding for Asher's toddler bed (which had been purchased, but not assembled. Asher has never climbed out of his crib, so we've never felt pressured to graduate him). After all, while the baby will sleep close to us in a pack n' play for the first few months, he'll need the crib eventually.

Well. Let me tell you - I've learned I'm a talker, and Andrew's a doer. I make lists, weigh options, nail down action plans, etc., but Andrew sees a task at hand, dives in and completes it before I can say, "You know, I've been thinking we should..." I wish I was like him.
He does too.

So I make my off-hand comment, pack Asher up and head to the park to meet a friend for a couple hours. Low key. Slow paced. Andrew hops on the computer, finds some used Pottery Barn bedding on Craigslist, contacts the owner, talks down the price, drives out to Grove City to get it, comes home, throws the bedding in the wash, and begins assembling the bed. I would still have been in my pajamas, perusing options online.

Anyway, we come home from a leisurely morning at the park to see all Speedy has done, and were so excited. Especially Asher. In fact, nap time came and Asher informed us he wanted to sleep in his "new bed," so we shrugged our shoulders and went with it. We read some books, tucked him in, shut the door and then fell into each other's arms - "OUR BABY'S GROWN UP!"

Tonight everything's ready in the nursery to accommodate two little boys. Toddler bed up, furniture rearranged, clean bedding on, and crib mattress raised for the next sweet baby.

And because I love before and after shots, here are a couple pictures of the boys' room the day we moved in, and now, post "transformation."
 
Then:


Now:


Well done, Daddy!

 And as for Asher - so far he's done amazingly well. Doesn't climb out, calls for us if needs to go potty. I've heard a lot of moms talk about "big boy beds," but never understood what a rite of passage it was. Truly, if you're anything like me (a weepy, half-crazed pregnant woman) the sight of your child in a miniature adult bed will make you want to laugh, clap and cry. Way to go, little man!
You're on your way now. 
:)

6 comments:

  1. Nice! It's always hard to see your little ones grow up and take on the next phase, but totally worth it :) Hope the end of your pregnancy is not beating you up too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's awesome! What a good find on the pottery barn stuff Andrew! Jake has been loving his big boy bed as well--but I'll admit, with no side rails on the twin...he has fallen out a couple of times. No broken bones, just a bummer that nap time is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Andrew! I think men are more naturally task oriented. Girls want to talk about issues, men want to solve them. I can't believe you're almost done! I'm so excited to see his pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh way to go Asher!! What a smooth transition to the big boy bed! And Andrew....I guess it's paying off being outnumbered by women growing up? The boy's got good taste. You're welcome Sarah;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, nice job on the bedding Andrew! I'm pleasantly surprised at how cute it is and how nice it all looks in the room together! Congrats on the big transition going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Andrew! James has a toddler bed with rails and has still managed to fall out a couple times. He now has rails a pool noodle. Ha ha. The room is so great. I'm super excited for you.

    ReplyDelete