Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Farewell Wedding

Tomorrow, my little sister Hannah will have been married three weeks. I love family weddings. Getting to see the people you love most while celebrating a day that means the most. Laughing, crying, talking, eating, dancing...and it's all capped off with cake. I could do it every weekend.




She wore my dress, and it looked lovely on her. It was a really beautiful wedding and I was so grateful to be there, part of it. It was one of those days you spend feeling so much, you're just emotionally wiped by the end (and also physically wiped, because you've spent the day in heels, standing around for pictures, helping put on a luncheon, running last minute errands and chasing kids around a reception hall). We all felt such overwhelming excitement, joy and gratitude that our sister was marrying an excellent man from an excellent family. That little girl is so loved. But there was also a sense of loss as they drove away in that decorated car...when would we see her again? Alberta is too far.


The rest of us sisters came home that night, took off our heels and just crashed on the couch together, numb. Somebody suggested ice cream. Then we remembered we'd just had cake...and still had ice cream. 

That was Friday. Saturday we all began packing up and driving different directions. Amy, the youngest, drove away to Arizona for college. I cried. 

Maybe this all seems over-dramatized, but the whole thing really played out in my mind like some coming of age film only teenage girls see. We just needed to work in some ya-ya traveling pants, or something. It's just bittersweet to see my little sisters begin such exciting new chapters in life, while knowing they'll be written so far away.


But I've talked to them both and they are doing so well - settling in and feeling happy. I don't know how much that call to Canada cost, but we'll find out soon enough. Maybe I can open the phone bill before Andrew does. 

Anyway, the 6 of us girls are all adults out on our own now, but we're still growing up. And learning to adjust to seasons of change is a big part of that. Now that it's been a few weeks and all the emotions are beginning to simmer down, the feeling of gratitude remains strong. I love my family so very much and am profoundly grateful to Heavenly Father for the sweet blessing of sisterhood in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that Canadian. :) I'm no help with that, BUT I do have the answer to your phone bill problem: Ooma.

    We have one and love it, but, more importantly, my sister-in-law has one (with a Virginia phone #) in GERMANY and we talk all the time FOR FREE. It's kind of the best deal ever. I will refrain from sounding like an infomercial in the comments on your blog and just direct you here instead:

    http://www.the-red-kitchen.com/2012/01/living-with-less-phone-bills-part-1.html

    Dix and Lacey have something very similar, but a different brand, which I think they like too, so you could ask them too if you want to shop around. Anyway, perhaps a post-wedding gift is in order? Just sayin'. Having family out of the country is hard. Especially when you actually like them. :)

    ReplyDelete