Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Derby in Columbus

I LOVE the Kentucky Derby.

Being born and bred in Louisville, it's no wonder. Back home, May means picking horses, buying hats, hosting parties, and hanging rose garlands on front doors. Yes, it's totally unique, special, fun, and I love it.

So as the Run for the Roses approached, I wondered how Derby Day would be here in Columbus, where some people have never even heard of the event. I might be a sad island of Derby enthusiasm...I felt a touch melancholy to be away from home, where no one has to be convinced the Kentucky Derby is a big deal.

Then a mini miracle happened. 

My friend Ally told me she was planning to host her first-ever Derby party. I about bubbled over with joy. She's actually been and loves it as much as I do. Glory be! And since her party was scheduled for a different night (she just recorded the race), Andrew and I decided a few days beforehand to have some friends from his program over to watch the fastest two minutes in sports as it aired.

It was pretty low-key...we ate, drew horses, picked our trifecta, let the kids play and had a good time watching those thoroughbreds run. I think we'll do it again next year, bigger and better!


 
 Asher and his beloved Rob. Prizes on the mantle for the big winners!

 
Andrew indulges in a little Brazilian Lemonade - see our odds board in the background?

Andrew's incomplete baby gate group shot. I wasn't ready. :)

Okay, and here are pictures from Ally's ladies only Derby Party. Girlfriend knows how to throw a party!
 I keep meeting these people out here who are incredibly talented and inspiring in so many ways...Ally has to be at the top of the list! Everything was ADORABLE and so much fun. Glad she's a photographer (among other things), and could capture it all so beautifully.


 
Ally and sweet Harper. The little hat was too much to handle! 
I had to ask her to leave.

I left my hat on our kitchen counter...luckily someone had 8 extras. ;)


 

 
Mock mint juleps. De-he-lish.

 
 
 

 
Just beautiful. Felt so good to be home. 
:)

1 comment:

  1. 1. Yours was hands down the best derby party I've ever been to.

    2. My legs look AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete